Auxiliary Radiator Fan

330 GTs tend to overheat in traffic when you can't maintain 20 mph or so and mine isn't any different.

As I'm getting ready to drive it to the annual Monterey pilgrimage (2004 version), I decided to add an auxiliary fan to hopefully cure this problem.  After looking at the fan that Tom Yang put on his car, I decided to go with a small compact fan that I could mount on the engine side of the radiator as a puller.

I selected a 10" fan made by Flex-a-lite, a low profile unit (2 5/8" thick) that can be used either as a pusher (mounted in front) or puller (mounted behind the radiator) fan.  I had measured the area under the alternator and decided that this fan should fit if it had thin edges so it would stick under the lower radiator hose fittings.  By getting one that could be put in front or behind, I figured that I could always mount it in front if my measuring didn't work out.

Once the unit arrived, I did some more measuring and decided that it just, and I mean just, fit where I wanted to put it.  However, getting it there wasn't that easy.  You can't install it from the bottom due to the radiator mount and lower hose connections.  From the top, there's not enough room between the alternator and engine bay side, so I had to remove the alternator.  At first I thought that I could just unbolt and move it to the rear to provide enough clearance to get the fan it.  That wasn't the case so the alternator had to come completely out.  That required removing the oil filler and vent tube.  Once that was done, I tried to fit the fan in.  It was close, but as they say, close is only good in horseshoes and hand grenades.  Here's where I was planning on installing it.

Well, a couple of hours wasted as the only useful piece of work was removing the pan under the radiator.  Plus I probably will have a leak from the oil filler piece as I didn't have a new gasket or O-ring.

Plan B:  The idea now was to replace the original fan on the left side with the auxiliary one.  I unbolted the old fan and tried to remove it from in front of the radiator.  You can't get it out without removing the grille, so off it came.  Now with some turning, twisting and positioning of the blades, I got the old fan out.

The new fan just fit between the X frame support for the old fans and the A/C radiator.  Without A/C there would have been 1" of clearance.   A couple of wire ties to the X frame and a screw through the A/C radiator frame mounted it solidly.  I had ordered the mounting kit but it was on back order.  I'll probably go back and retro fit a better mounting later, but the fan almost didn't need any mounting due to the lack of clearance.

Of course, when you start doing something like this, there's always something else that you end up doing at the same time.  Just like ordering parts or tools, "I'm already paying the shipping so I might as well get ...", one rationalizes "Since I already have this apart, I might as well ...".  When I took the grille out, I was reminded that the top screws needed nuts (difficult to get started due to the limited access).  The bottom ones screwed into small plates that were tapped and welded to the body.  I didn't want to do any welding as it would probably roast some of the paint, but I could pop rivet them on.  The rivets would be covered by the grille, so no problem there.

This took an additional hour or so, but will save about 15 minutes of scraped hands and arms every time I have to fiddle with the grille.

As I mentioned above, I wasn't able to fit the auxiliary fan on the back side of the radiator under the alternator.  I since found a smaller (8") fan that would fit there.  So I took out the large auxiliary fan in the front, re-installed the original fan and put the small one on the engine side of the radiator.

The directions showed the fan to be ready as a puller fan and I assumed that the black wire would be ground.  Bad assumption, the blue one was ground and the black one was the hot lead.  So I had to re-wire the fan to have it turn the correct direction.

PS, having the grille screws go into the tapped plates sure was nice.  It only took about 5 minutes to replace the grille.

Copyright 2001-2014, Kerry Chesbro